Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE washer model wcsr4170g2ww no agitation or spin. Tub moves

Customer Question

GE washer model wcsr4170g2ww no agitation or spin. Tub moves freely. Control panel makes loud noise when moved to agitate or spin position. I see a green light on the motor pc board. Is this a controller problem or should I look somewhere else? Thanks for the help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• How many flashes between pauses on the motor board?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The green light on the motor board flashes continually about everyone and a half to two seconds
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So the drive portion of the control system is working. The issue is likely with the main control. What type of noise from the control panel are you hearing, clicking o0r buzzing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a hard whirring sound or almost like a bad bearing sound. Rather low frequency.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cancel the call request....I will be away from my phone
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

And you are sure it comes from the control panel?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If so, I believe the timer is faulty.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let's do phone if you can before 4:30 pm ET today.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I am not available for phone requests right now. I will place your question back to the list in case another is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry to maybe lead down a rathole... My wife says the sound is the normal timer sound from behind the main control knob. So here is what we have: I get no agitation and no spin but the tub and agitator are free to move by hand. The water will fill and drain at the appropriate point in the cycle. Where does this washer get the permissive for these cycles?