Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I inadvertently put a tea bag with a staple on it and think

Customer Question

I inadvertently put a tea bag with a staple on it and think I may have injured my GE Eterna microwave oven. It no longer heats anything although it still turns off and on. Any thoughts? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the microwave still turns on and off but it just doesn't produce any heat, then unfortunately the magnetron has shorted out from the staple as you suspected. The magnetron is the part that actually produces the microwaves and it'll arc out and can fail if metal is inside the microwave when it's heating. The part is usually about $150 and costs another $150 if you need someone to replace it for you so it may not be worth fixing but that is what you're looking at as far as costs.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?