Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Maytag washer MVWX700XW1. I had to replace the

Customer Question

I have a Maytag washer MVWX700XW1. I had to replace the gearcase, maytag sent me a free one, and once the install was complete, I programed as instructed. It cycled through the program and basketed cycled. when I go to use it, the basket does not move. It sounds like the gears are grinding and I turned it off. I would like a detail of how to install the basket, I am sure that is where the problem is.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased 4/2012 Model MVWX700XW1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had a repair person come out and they won't work on it since I installes the part my self. I am very frustracted with this and ready to set it on the curb.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Sorry to hear the repair gave you problems. Did you remove the spin tub at any point?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wait, no, only the basket

The tub with the holes ? If so did you also remove the hub that it rests on attached to the center shaft? There are two "ears" sticking up from that shaft that need to line up with notches on the hub. By the way, what was the original problem that caused you to get the gearcase?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The tub with the holes. There were no notoches that I could see. I was looking for a reference point in case somthing had to be lined up, but I could find none. To attach the basket took three components. A flange, something that looked like a castle nut that was perferated and as you tighten the spanner nut to the flange, the castle nut tightens to the splines on the shaft.

Here is a link to a picture of the hub. It is upside down but it should have a pace for the tow "ears" from the spin shaft to lock in. Hub link

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The orginal problem was, when the washer spinned, it sounded like an airplane taking off in my house. I had Sears repair come out and they wanted $500.00 to fix it. Once I read my manual, I realized the $250.00 part was free, I called Maytag and they sent it to me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My hub does not look like that.https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmg_CSBTMXlN3SqpDD03ShqUPEkYcGyRIyjGhim0Yqoe5WV7AsfA

Oklay, to replace the gearcase you didn't need to remove the tub, only remove the agitator up top. Cab you remove the agitator and see if you can see the two ears?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not at home. I orginally removed the tub because I thought it was a bearing, once into the project, I realized this model does not have the bearing replacement, you have to do the entire gear case.

Ok, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no ears

I'm not sure where I went wrong but your washer is not the type that takes the hub I showed. There is not much you can do wrong up top on this style and as you know the gearcase includes the spin drive. Have you confirmed the belt is on and the large pulley did not come loose?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I calibrated it, it seems like it did fine, but the lid lock keeps flashing and it says in the manual to perform Test 8 and there is not test 8.

Calibration is all you should need after replace a drive component. So at this point the lid is locked and it won't run?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct, lid is locked but light is blinking. I tried to get it to spin in manual mode, and it will not.

Test 8 is on page 18 of the techsheet. It is the lid lock test. If the lid is locked but the switch didn't close it won't do anything. Not sure how that is related to the noise or anything else that happened. Let's see if it will let you get into diagnostics. Here are the steps and a link to a video that will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYm66Kl7M4

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not home, I will try when I get home.

Ok

Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 3 months ago.

Any luck with the codes? Let me know and I can check on the codes.

I haven't heard from you. Did you get the code? Do you still need help?