Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Refrigerator and freezer not cooling GE MODEL-PFSS6PKXBSS

Customer Question

refrigerator and freezer not cooling GE MODEL-PFSS6PKXBSS
SERIAL-HS550021
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

If neither unit is cooling pull the unit out and remove the back cardboard cover behind the unit and tell me is the compressor and fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can yes, compressor no. I heard relay and compressor click a few seconds after I plugged it back in
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can yes. Compressor is warm to the touch

OK then there is a really good chance the board is bad, can you remove the board from the unit and check the backside relay solder joints? The board is behind the square cover with 10 screws around it above the compressor area. Take that off unplug the plugs on it and remove it from the plastic mounts with a needlenose pliers...once off check the solder joints by the large black relays on the back side of the board, if you find once burned that is the issue. You should get a new board but sometimes you can clean up the joint with a brush and resolder it to get it going.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attached picture. Which board?

Ok you have an inverter compressor, remove the smaller board and check the back side for anything overheated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pic of the only board with any discoloration. Send pic of back of board also.

OK and the compressor was just warm and not running correct, but the fan next to it was?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct. Fan running. I could rest my hand on comprssor can it so I say warm not hot

OK do you have a volt meter?

Not sure if you are still here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry yes I have a dvom

Ok with it all reconnected check at the CN1 connector to that small board for 120 volts if you have that there then checj at the CN2 connector from the Black to the Red for 5 volts do you have that there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
116.6vac on cn1, 5vdc from red to black cn2

OK then you either have a bad inverter board, that small board or a bad compressor. That small inverter board fails all the time so I would order it from REPAIRCLINIC.COM and put it in, if it does not solve the issue then return it and you would need a compressor at that point.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I received the board over the weekend installed it and no change do you have a recommendation for a place to get the compressor? Also the compressor will not be a self-install item correct
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also any chance its the compressor relay or overload, mounted to the side of the compressor can? anything there to check with the meter to verify prior to shot-gunning more parts at it?

You can check for 130-200 volts at any two of the compressor terminals when it should be running, also no the compressor is not a self install project,