RJ
RJ, Appliance Tech.
Experience:  Norcold, Dometic, Atwood, Suburban repairs
3862310

Have a norcold 84xxx refrigerator in Horse trailer that will

Customer Question

Have a norcold 84xxx refrigerator in Horse trailer that will freeze in freezer but not cool in refrigerator area
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RJ replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

This could be an issue with the cooling unit or the thermistor, if you have a volt meter you can ohm out the thermistor to see if it is the issue, click HERE and see page 20 .... IF you do not have a volt meter you can unplug the connector as shown and try running it for a few hours, when you unplug the thermistor the fridge should default to full cooling. IF it does NOT cool off I suspect the cooling unit is at fault, the solution inside the absorber coils should be circulating, it is VERY possible for the freezer to be cooling and not the box if the cooling unit was bad. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia, hear a gurgle when you turn it on OR see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. FOR a blockage you may not see any symptoms at all but NO cooling on both AC and LP.... Make sure the fridge is also level, if it is not level re-level it and then let it sit for several hours and then try again, cooling units can become blocked if the fridge does not sit level. IF the cooling unit is blocked it would have to be replaced or a new fridge is needed. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the ONLY way I get credit for helping... Robert

Expert:  RJ replied 4 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert