Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Emerson portable icemaker quit making ice. Fan runs, hear

Customer Question

Emerson portable icemaker quit making ice. Fan runs, hear compressor. Fills with water but doesn't form ice. Water just runs back into reservoir.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If the compressor is running and you have water but not freezing, the refrigerant has leaked out and the unit is not repairable. A sealed system repair is more than the replacement of the machine. It requires a several hours of time and the replacement parts are not made available by the manufacturer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No leak has been seen. Where would it have leaked out?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

It usually leaks as a gas so you would not see it but if the compressor is running and it is not cooling, it has leaked out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, these are junk! This is the 2nd one we bought in a little over a year. Not too happy either that I paid you $28 to tell me to toss it!
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I understand you being upset, I would be, too. However, would you rather I told you to replace a part that you did not need instead of giving you an honest answer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not your fault; however, won't ever buy anything Emerson again.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I don't blame you! I am not a fan of these types of "disposable appliances," either.

Thank you so much! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page.