Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 cu. ft. XL1800 microwave.

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 cu. ft. XL1800 microwave. Pushed reheat and had a loud hum. Pushed off, then pushed reheat again. This time same loud hum then a crackely buzz. I pushed off immediately. Then I pushed 30 sec button. Sounded normel but did not heat food at all. I unplugged the unit for a couple minutes and then plugged it back in. I put a cup of cold water in it and pushed beverage. It crackled loudly and then popped. I shut it off and then tried it again. This time normal fan noise but it does not heat. Ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was new in 2009. Model PVM1870DMBB
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I installed the unit when it was new but I have never worked on the inside of a microwave.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

This is a common problem with GE Microwaves, You High Voltage Diode went bad, then when you tried it again, it took out the High Voltage Capacitor, Then when you tried it again you most likely took out the magnatron, If You would have stopped after the first time, the repair would have been cheap, now you are talking about over $200 for the parts, and on a 7 year old microwave that would not be really feasible, however if you wish to continue with the repair, I can supply you with a list of the parts that will need to be replaced to accomplish this repair.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory