Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Whirlpool frig problem: when door is opened, there is a

Customer Question

Whirlpool frig problem: when door is opened, there is a continuous buzzing/clicking sound and the lights dim and flicker off an on.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is gd5rhaxnb00 model number, Whirlpool Gold, 11 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. We live in a rural area and it's difficult to find someone to make the drive. I've requested X 3 w/ appliance repair companies and no one called back.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. Unfortunately this is a fairly common problem and it means that your relay is beginning to fail on your main control board so it can't keep the lights on properly. Now the problem is that this board is no longer made. It's part number WPW10135090 and located inside a sheet metal box down in the far back right corner under the refrigerator against the right side wall sort of by the compressor. You'd need to either locate a refurbished board on-line or send the old board into a place like Core Centric Solutions to have the board refurbished which costs about $200 and takes 2 weeks or so.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.