Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool gas dryer. It is about 7 years old, MOD

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool gas dryer. It is about 7 years old, MOD #WGD5840SW0. When we run the dryer, it hearts up properly and dries clothes efficiently. However, we have noticed a strong gas smell on the clothes and during the cycle at times. It doesn't seem to be a connection leak, as no smell is detected when not in use. I believe the gas valve? may be pumping raw gas in during the cycle with no ignition. I'm looking to see what parts you think may be defective or need replacing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The gas smell can come from 2 different things. Either your gas valve is bad as you suspect, or if you recently had some work done on your house like floors being refinished or new paint or anything like that, the dryer will collect and condense the fumes and it'll make your clothing smell like ethanol. There isn't much you can do to fix the second issue other than wait for a few weeks for the fumes to go down. Otherwise if that isn't the issue then the valve will need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would a gas coil replacement be what I'm looking for, or whole gas valve assembly? Huge price difference.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Gas coils can't cause a gas leak, you'd need the entire valve.