Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My kitchen aid side by side refrigerator is displaying off

Customer Question

My kitchen aid side by side refrigerator is displaying off on the refrigerator and freezer side randomly
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And what EXACTLY is showing on the display?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Model kbfs20evms13
Freezer is reading 11
Fridge 55
The displays both read off
Did the same thing several days ago
Just read off
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you get my reaponse
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

OK perfect, thank you. So it sounds like the refrigerator is just turning itself off. You'll want to set the refrigerator and freezer to the desired temperatures. Then remove the control panel and unplug the refrigerator. Disconnect the ribbon cable from the touchpad to the display board and plug the refrigerator back in. The touchpad will no longer function but the display should still work. If it shuts off again in the future, you need to replace the display board. If it stops shutting off, then your touchpad is having an intermittent stuck button so the touch control pad would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need either the control board or touch pad replaced?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

That is correct. One of them has failed you just have to figure out which one.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fridge was unplugged and now attempting to cool
Ice maker is a quarter full
The fridge is a year old
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

If it's less than a year old then the issue will be covered under warranty. Otherwise if it's not then any replacement parts may not be covered under warranty so you'd want to contact Whirlpool (who owns Kitchen Aid) to see what the warranty is. Unplugging the unit might reset the issue and possibly it'll start working again, but that is usually just a temporary fix until the issue comes back. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.