John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Whirlpool top-loading high efficiency low water

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool top-loading high efficiency low water washer. It is the Cabrio Style. Model # WTW5640XWO. It worked without problem til today. Had placed a few dry clothes in it last night and today added 3 knit dresses. Closed lid and started on normal.Then it seemed to start, but a loud motor grinding noise started and it smelled like it was burning. Stopped it immediately. and the clothes were not even wet.Help !!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Your washer has a belt and a plastic drive pulley. Can you tip the washer back against the wall and see if it is intact? It will be above a plastic shield and if the pulley came loose the shield may be damaged.