Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Jenn-Air built-in convection microwave oven

Customer Question

I have a Jenn-Air built-in convection microwave oven JMC2430. I'd like to know how to take the door apart so I can clean a drip off the inside of the glass door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The parts breakdown is shown at the link below. The screws you removed do indeed need to come out to disassemble the door. Once they are removed, the top should separate and the door may be lifted off tabs on the bottom. However, once you take the door apart, you will need to have it checked for microwave energy leakage. Is this something you are sure you want to tackle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do you check for leaks? How would unscrewing the door front impact the seal of the door?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You need a leak detector. Anytime the door is disassembled, the potential for leaks is high if not reassembled correctly. The door seals around the microwave opening.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you give me more information about a leak detector? What would you do if there was a leak?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The door must close correctly to keep the microwave energy in the box. If the door does not close correctly or has gaps that the microwaves can get through, it can be dangerous. I just wanted to make certain you understood the risks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what would be the fix for that? Where would you get a leak detector?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looks like I can get one at Home Depot for $8. So what does a technician do if there is a leak?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I have been called away unexpectedly. I will place your question up for others to see.