Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Our Viking refrigerator has been building ice on the back

Customer Question

Our Viking refrigerator has been building ice on the back wall and the temp adjuster has failed. Now it's making a very loud noise while the door is shut but once we open the door the noise will die down. Please help..
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. First, the noise you hear is the fan hitting the ice build up behind the back panel inside the freezer. Your unit isn't defrosting properly for some reason. You'll need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and thaw all the ice out. If you use a multimeter you can test continuity through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils as well as the defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part has no continuity, then you need to replace it. If they both have continuity, the display board will need to be replaced because that is what controls the defrost cycle on your refrigerator.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?