Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Ice maker in kitchen aid refridg. model kfcs22evmsoo is

Customer Question

ice maker in kitchen aid refridg. model kfcs22evmsoo is melting and than freezing into solid block of ice. have tried lowering temp in freezer, have tried raising temp, and starting humidity control. nothing helps. what to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. There are 2 things that can cause the temperature to rise enough for the freezer to melt the ice and then re-freeze. Either your unit is going into defrost for too long or the compressor is shutting down possibly due to overheating. To know which one is causing your issue you have to catch the freezer when it's warming up and melting. If the unit is 100% silent, then your unit is staying in defrost for too long. If you hear everything running still then your compressor is just shutting down. Pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel as well as the lower kick panel below the bottom freezer drawer. Clean the coils below the freezer and that should stop the compressor from overheating if the compressor itself isn't going bad.

Other than that if the unit is completely shutting down because it's staying in defrost too long, you'll want to replace the defrost thermostat which is clipped onto the top of the silver coils behind the back panel inside the freezer. You'd want to replace this thermostat to fix that issue so below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?