Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

When I open refrigerator door, the compressor shuts off, and

Customer Question

When I open refrigerator door, the compressor shuts off, and I have to unplug and replug it in for it to start up again. I can open freezer door without this happening.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

What is the complete make and model off the tag on the frame of the unit? Normally the model number is ***** a tag on the frame edge when you open the door or back edge of a console.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Whirlpool Model GS6SHAXML00

That was an issue and you would need the control to fix it, but they no longer sell that one. If you can find one on EBAY or maybe send it in for repair to APPLIANCETIMERS.COM or CORECENTRICS.COM you may be able to get it fixed. Here is the part number

(###) ###-####/p>

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The electronic control board was already replaced, but did not fix this problem. Any other suggestions?

WHere did you get the board? You can check for a wiring issue or short at the molex plug behind the unit where the main harness is that would be the only other thing that could cause this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sears Parts Direct

That is odd it has been obsolete for some time now....anyways can you check that molex plug behind the unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not brand new...rebuilt. No wiring issue at molex plug either. We have been trying to get this fixed for weeks, so guess it is time to give up and buy a new one. Thanks for trying; however, I feel that I should receive a refund since you were not able to help.

A wiring issue like this can be fixed, but I would have to be onsite...It is Sunday and I stay on to try and help people with yes you can get a refund and I will receive nothing, but that is fine. Take care