Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.

My refrigerator quit cooling, the vents inside in the back

Customer Question

My refrigerator quit cooling, the vents inside in the back have ice built up in them. Should I defrost it? Will it start working again once the ice is gone
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 months ago.

Yes if you do a 24 hour defrost on this and leave the fridge door open this will allow the ice behind and inside that panel defrost.

As what happens is too much ice builds up behind there and then the ice gets into the fan and this then stops the cooling inside the fridge. Once you defrost it it sorts the fault out and gets it working again.

Then see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed its a one off thats caused this but if it happens again then theres an issue on the defrost side. This could be the defrost heater or defrost sensors.

But defrosting this will get it working again and as i said hopefully its a one off that caused this.