Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We have a Kitchen Aid whisper quiet dishwasher (about 14

Customer Question

We have a Kitchen Aid whisper quiet dishwasher (about 14 years old). We've never had a problem with it before. The child lock light kept flashing so we followed instructions to hold down the energy saver/dry button for several seconds. The child lock light went out, but now nothing works (can't start it, etc). What should we do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is 17 years old. It is a Whisper Quiet Plus Kitchen Aid. The model is KVDR25SHBL1.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It is a second home so we need to try to fix this ourselves or it will be a week or more before we can get the work done. We are selling the home and go to closing in early September.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's just weird that we've never had any problems with this appliance (much less run into the child lock light issue).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much, Kelly. We will try it this evening (once I get through serving dinner to this crew!).
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, hopefully that heat and rubbing will restore those touch pad contacts! Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It worked!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That is great news, bullet dodged! :)

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you so much! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page.