Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool washer that makes a grinding noise when

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool washer that makes a grinding noise when it agitates. Why could be the problem. Runs well in all the other cycles.
Model # WTW4800XQ4
Serial # C33124772
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your washer today.

So it sounds like your transmission has either failed, or the pulley bolt has loosened causing the teeth on the pulley to grind a bit in the beginning of the cycle. My guess would be the transmission is going bad since the noise goes away after a few minutes. To determine which one is bad just unplug the washer and tip it backwards a bit. There is a plastic cover on the bottom of the tub hiding the large plastic pulley that the belt goes around. Remove the bolts holding this cover and then remove the cover. Now you can see the large pulley. Try to tighten the center bolt if it's gotten loose. If it won't tighten or the sound remains, the transmission would need to be replaced. That's quite a major job I'm afraid.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?