Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Having problem with washer I says 5d and beeps and the

Customer Question

Having problem with washer I says 5d and beeps and the cloths are wet
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Model. Wtw6340wwo. Type580
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes and purchased 7/18,2013
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Sometimes off balance
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So error "sd" means that the washer thinks there are suds in the tub. There are quitea few things that can actually cause this issue because the washer thinks that all the water isn't draining out. Now this could be a bad control board (the pressure switch is built into the main control board on this model), or you could have a drain problem, or the shaft could be sticking not allowing the basket to drop down and get into spin mode.

Probably the best thing to do is check the shaft first because you can check to see if there is a drain problem once the basket is out if the bottom of the outer plastic tub is filled with water yet. To fix the problem if the basket is not floating you will have to take the washer apart. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.

11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.

12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.

13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. You may need to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inner bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.

14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

Now, if you find that the tub is floating up and down properly but there is water in the tub, you'll need to check the drain for this unit. You'll need to tip the the washer backwards and unplug the unit so you can get under the washer. The drain pump is mounted to the back of the washer under the tub. It will need to be removed to check for any blockages. If you find nothing, then drain all the water out and try the washer again. If you get the error code again and you found nothing in the drain pump, you need to replace the drain pump itself.

And if everything I've mentioned checks good, you'll need to order and replace the control board because it's not sending the water level properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?