Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE Harmony Profile top load washing machine. Has started

Customer Question

Hi, GE Harmony Profile top load washing machine. Has started making a heavy grinding noise when spinning under load (definitely not a bra wire or that class of issue), this sounds like a gear on gear slipping sound and machine shuts down. Tub spins noiselessly when spun by hand. Removed agitator, no issue there. Reran washing cycle without agitator and back access panel off - water fills, tub shifts and dances then as it started to spin .... grinding noise and shut down. What next?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WPGT9350C0 etc
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Idealy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Does the noise appear to be coming from the inner tub area or under the machine, can you tell?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Kelly, I'd say from under the machine.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, could it be from the stator area (number 205) or does it seem higher?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could be there or lower. I'm going to attach a movie file so you can hear it yourself, the first one is 10s, the second about 30s. had to zip them to get past the sites sensor.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
second file, a bit longer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thank you! Are you able to remove the rotor (number 215) to get a look internally and see if something is not as it should be in that assembly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
WiIl give it a bash, what's the best way? from the bottom?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I will get you information to help. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

See the attached pages. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, looks doable but is going to take a while, go have a few beers at the pub and I'll get back to you a little later, thanks!
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Keep me posted!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
before I could even get to the next step, I ran a rinse cycle to get rid of the water in the drum, half way through the cycle it stopped and now the touch screen is blank (as in powerless), unplugged, replugged, checked plug for power, pushed all manner of buttons for no result. Next step plse?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If it is totally dead, the main control is likely faulty if you have verified power to the machine.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!