Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a Sears me more elite refrigerator. It is not cooling

Customer Question

Hi I have a Sears me more elite refrigerator. It is not cooling or freezing! Everything is spoiling and melting. Tech can't come until next Wednesday. Is there anything I can try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

is anything running on the unit at all, evaporator fan in the freezer? condenser fan on the rear of the unit next to compressor? also give me the model number of the unit please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model # 795.72063.112
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lights are on inside and on the front exterior panel, but I don't hear any fans on inside unt

thanks for that also let me know if fans are running, is compressor running etc;

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No

ok pull the unit out and see if the fan on the back of the unit is running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's pulled out....nothing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well if I put my ear to the back I do hear a mechanical noise....smooth.....something is on but not sure if it's a fan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just unplugged it and replugged it and hear a bunch of whirling like its try to do something
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It sounds different now....a higher pitch noise, still not very loud....fan does seem to be in now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure what is normal.....never paid attention before

ok that means the main power board is failing most likely have you had a power surge lately or something like that, sometimes the logic in the board will get stuck and rebooting the board by unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in will reboot the board and it will go back to working, but if not the board will have to be replaced.

Refrigerator Electronic Control Board

Part #: EBR73093611 - click here

hopefully by unplugging it and plugging it back in it rebooted and will be ok or at least run enough to keep everything from ruining until the tech can come out and replace the board.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Argh!....Maybe..Today is Thursday....we were gone this weekend....came home Saturday night and could tell the power went out cus all our clocks were reset. The ice machine hadn't been working properly since then and now the whoe thing isn't cooking....that sounds like a mother board?

ya sounds like the power surge took out the board, hopefully the reboot will get it back running, but ya that is definitely what happened.

*******************************************************************************

Please Note: The only way I get compensated for my time helping you is if you rate the answer!

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

NOTE PLEASE READ:

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sears will send me a tech Wed Aug 3rd.....how they've worked before is they come out to diagnose....if they don't have the part on the truck they have to order it, and then will come back to do the repair. Obviously can't be without a frig for that long....can I order the part myself?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I ask your help in installing this part?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Like if I order it myself can you tell me how to install it or do I need a tech to do it for me?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it part of the follow up?

sure not a problem, I gave you the link to order the part from sears, also here is a link to a few of those boards on ebay there is once listed for 45.00 with free shipping - click here

also here is a video that shows how to replace the board on the LG built units which is what you have even though it has the kenmore brand name its an LG built unit. click here for video

please remember to rate the answer before you leave today and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge for this particular issue and the question will remain open for 7 days or so for follow up questions you may have, thanks again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Joel! Before I provide a rating, I would like to order the part and attempt a repair. If the problem is the motherboard, I will definitely return to the site and give you a 5 star rating!

ok

just checking back with you to see if you got the board replaced yet?