Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Should my kenmore washing machine have the lid lock

Customer Question

Should my kenmore washing machine have the lid lock mechanism engaged while the washer is washing. I am trying to determine if my lid lock mechanism is working properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can see how your washer is designed to work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
110.28002012 Kenmore washer
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

On this model yes, the washer should lock, then unlock, then relock right in the beginning of the cycle before it really does anything. Now that being said, if the lid lock light is flashing, that just means you have an error saved---it doesn't indicate there is a problem with the door latch itself. You'd have to pull up the error to see what is wrong. Below is a video that shows you how to do this.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure this video will help me since my machine is a kenmore, my lid lock mechanism is not engaging during the wash cycle
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

It's a Kenmore but the unit is made by Whirlpool and it's the exact same washer as what is shown in the video. You only need to worry about the video if the lid lock light starts flashing. If so that means an error code was saved. If it's not flashing then either the latch is bad, the main control board is bad, or you haven't let it run long enough for the lid lock light to start flashing indicating an error was saved

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand what you are saying but I don't have the lights on my washer like the whirlpool does, I have a digital display
but I will try it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

It's just an upgraded model with a digital display. Instead of light's it'll show something like F7 E1.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have an E1 F7 code.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK perfect. That means you have a bad actuator. It's the most common problem that these new washers get. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace as well as a video at the bottom which shows you how to replace it.

CLICK HERE for actuator

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

No problem ad sorry about the bad news.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?