Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Tappan PV442AG-12 range I bought from R Jr in

Customer Question

I have a Tappan PV442AG-12 range I bought from R Cooper Jr in Chicago in 1959. The small oven still works like it worked the first day I turned it on, The larger oven and broiler have not worked for the last several years. I made an appointment with Warren Appliance on Main Street in Longmont Monday for a service call yesterday at 2 p.m. The technician arrived early, saw that the oven was by his standards too old for repair, stating that the wiring had no doubt disintegrated, represented a fire hazard, then advising me to refrain from using the oven/stove and replace it. He then left. I do not want to replace what I have. The range has given me many years of service. and I would like to repair it. Two weeks ago a cleaning lady cleaned the larger oven and noticed that it was putting out by her estimate 50 to 100 degrees, which gave me hope that perhaps a clock, sensor, harness, element might get the oven to work again. What is you opinion and advice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If it is heating without being turned on but not heating all the way, there is probably a short in the wiring. From the wiring you are able to see, is the insulation starting to crumble? I suspect it will require rewiring and possibly a new selector switch for the large oven. I have restored many electric ranges from the 40's and 50's but it is very time consuming and expensive. An average rebuild on a range runs about $1000 or more, depending on the condition of the porcelain and chrome.