Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Maybe, worth a try. I have a miele CVA 4066 builtin coffee

Customer Question

Maybe, worth a try. I have a miele CVA 4066 builtin coffee maker. It is not powering on now. Worked great up til now, no issues. Just doesn't come on. Screen blank, etc. Turn off and on the internal power switch behind the door, and it clicks like a relay switching on, then clicks again. (like resetting or turning off or something.) Does this sound like a fuse issue or something?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Miele is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: probably a few years old, it is the model before this current one. I don't think they are making the CVA 4066 anymore it is a new model number replacing it now. Not sure to tell the age from the serial number or anything like that?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can yes. Not hard, I installed it when it arrived. The issue is our local service dealer can not come out for another week or so, and coffee is a necessity.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No not that I can think of. Unit worked fine. Now it just appears to have no power all at once. It IS plugged into a surge protector already, so let's make sure that is out of the way in consideration as well. :)
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know the sound of a relay vs a switch flipping of course. so when you power it on, about a half second later, the click happens, and about 1 second after that, another click. Again, my guess is that it is flipping a breaker or relay or something, or not getting power to where it needs to and shutting off the relay like a thermal relay or something. I hope your experience can help in this. I will attach a pic of the Serial Number label for your review.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
pic attached
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To be clear, I am not talking about the button on the front of the unit as power. I am talking about the main shutoff switch that is accessible behind the door of the unit when door is open. Thanks!
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I suspect the main electronic control is faulty. I have attached the service manual for that model to help with troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had most of this manual already, maybe just excerpts. Thanks for the info. I did review quickly the sections on electronic control. Are you suggesting the large "power electronic" as they call it is the issue? That is basically the brain of the system? Sometimes "TRIAC" is mentioned in same area. (###) ###-####is the PN I noticed here.So that part is in the rear of the unit, but the power switch and the clicking is in the front of the system. So that control in the back keeps power from coming on for the display as well and all other parts? Just confirming, because in this manual I did not see a way to "trouble shoot" the "power electronic" exactly. Maybe I missed it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34;power electronic" board is shown on page 100 in figure 4.4. Just confirming this as well.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The electronic is indeed the "brain" of the machine. Since it is not powering on, you basically van just verify power to it and replace it if there is power.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK make sense, we can check incoming power and if it has that, then the controller is the culprit likely. because the display and other items receive their power from cables coming back out of this controller right?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Correct, everything comes from that electronic control.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK so I don't think it is the controller. I purchased a $550 control board and installed it an the same thing happens. Same clicking, and nothing happening. There IS 120V power to the board both before and after new board installed, but nothing happened. Apparently not the resolution needed. Any new ideas?Just seems like it will be simpler than the board? Something is maybe overloading or making some relay flip, then nothing happens. That is just how it "Feels". ???
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

If you have power to the board and it is dead, I am not sure if you have replaced the board to no avail. I will place your question back to the list for others to see in case another has input.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yep AC to the board on right bottom side coming in at 120V. Then same thing on new board as well.Thanks!