Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kenmore combination microwave convection oven and

Customer Question

hi I have a kenmore combination microwave convection oven and oven wall unit model kems308sss00. MIcrowave does not heat anymore, the convection part of the microwave works though
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model kems308sss00 it is about 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on what it is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just that the convection part of microwave heats reg microwave does not
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll be helping you today. I’m am one of the experts here on I have been factory trained and one of the best appliance technicians in the industry. We are on the honor system and we only receive credit for or time helping you if you rate our service so please do not forget to rate before you leave or experts like myself won’t be around to help in the future since we must make a living helping you by passing on our knowledge and giving our time. Give me a few minutes to review your appliance issue and write an answer for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is a convection
microwave/oven combination wall unit
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

yes, sorry the screens got switched so I apologize about. It sounds like you're on the right track. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and oven to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150-200 for trip and labor since you have to pull the entire combination unit out to access and replace the part. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.