bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

Leaking water out front door, tub fills half way with water.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

It is filling too much, so it may have multiple issues if it is not draining, either.

1. Does the drain pump run, even though it is not draining out?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Model # MAH8700AWW Serial # 12228244GR. We don't think the pump was running.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Thank you! So is there water in the machine now that has not drained?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There was some but we got it out with our shop vac.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

I have an appointment I must leave for. I will place your question back to the list for thew others and will respond when I return if nobody has picked it up.

Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is Ian, let me pick up where Kelly left off - the first thing to do is to get access to the back of the appliance and establish if the washing machine is actually pumping the water out. So put it on to a spin cycle and see if any water is coming out of the drain pipe ~ then come back to me with your results.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We put it on spin and the tub won't spin and no water coming out, sounds like the motor can't turn. It finally stops on its own.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK is the tub empty of water at this time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK can you now open the door and can you actually move the drum assembly with your hand?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it spins very freely, like its not hooked to anything. Not like normal when you can tell its hooked to something.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK when it was on spin could you hear the drain pump working at the back?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't tell, its not pumping water
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK so to just go over a few things -

a. It fills with water but too much.

b. The pump doesnt drain the water.

c. There is no motor action

are all these correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is whats happing.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK I need you to take the top of the appliance and find this item -- http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-assysensor-pressure-wp34001324-ap6008429.html -- once you have found it come back to me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have removed top and found it.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK now you will see a small diameter pipe attached to it - I need you to disconnect that pipe and then come back to me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Got rubber hose off now
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK will you now put it on spin again and tell me if it spins this time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, does not spin
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

OK thanks - from what you have told me and what we have found I think that what has happened is that the appliance overfilled with water which duly applies more pressure to the motor. This subsequently caused either the motor or the main pcb to fail. My guess would be the main pcb. Whichever it is its going to be a high cost repair - so time to consider what you want to do next. I think I have gone as far as I can with you and would therefore ask that you rate the information given sofar, if you then decide to do further work come back to me and we can take it further.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I removed the drain water pump and took it apart, found a quarter jammed in it. the impeller had 2 blades broke off and there was a lot of water in the sealed housing. Could this also cause the motor to not turn on.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.

You have found the original problem - but not the result, I would connect the pump but leave it lose and then see if it will spin - if you are really lucky it will be OK but my feeling is that its more likely the pcb. Try it and come back to me with your results. I dont suppose you have got a multimeter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still no spin, I do have a meter. Water pump not spinning
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.

OK I need you to check the ac voltage across the pump terminals during a pump out phase.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked voltage across water pump power feed when machine on spin only. Got 110 volts with pump unhooked from power. when pump is hooked up to power I can hear buzzing but no pump running.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.

OK are you connected to 220 volts or 110 volts at the wall receptical ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
110
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.

OK if you have 110 volts at the pump but the impeller is not turning then firstly the pump is faulty and will need replacing - power it up and see if you can get the impeller to spin once powered up by twisting the impeller.