Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Kelvinator Freezer unit 52-1992-20 keep show E4 running

Customer Question

Kelvinator Freezer unit 52-1992-20 keep show E4 running after fezzes ice Evaporator coil
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

The error display indicates that the defrost heater is running. Replace the defrost thermostat. Its part number is(###) ###-#### ***** its price is $7.01. You can buy it at Replacement help is available at the website.

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response. I'm not paid, unless you rate my service to you.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

The error does not indicate your defrost heater is "running" as the first tech stated. That indicates a delay time for the compressor starting and stopping

Temperature controlling: After turning on for the delay time (E4), the compressor starts operating when cold‐room temperature ൒ (set temperature +hysteresis), and will off when cold‐room temperature ൑ set temperature. To protect the compressor it can be re‐started, unless the time when the compressor stops every time is longer than the delay time (E4)

So basically the E4 is saying that the compressor is on too long due to a defrost issue most likely. You should check the defrost circuit the heater mainly on that unit as part of the circuitry does not show a defrost thermostat.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Easy or complicated. Your choice. Thank you.

Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with your refrigerator problem?

Use a meter to check the continuity of the heating element, you can set it to ohms and see if it reads continuity to verify if it is good or not.