Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a whirlpool plrs267za, the coils freeze up. The fan

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool plrs267za, the coils freeze up. The fan runs fine, and if you put it in manual defrost by clicking the fridge door light 5 times the heater coil turns on
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 9 yeas old plrs267za is the model
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: ys
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If it will toggle the heater on during diagnostics, that tells us that the heater and the defrost thermostat are okay. So that only leaves the defrost control board as suspect. That board is shown as number 23 in the diagram at the link below.

The link below is to the part you will need.

Due to many issues with those boards, the new one is a redesigned and updated kit. It comes with everything you need, including instructions.

Thank you so much! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page.