Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My microwave door is closing, and I can turn on the

Customer Question

My microwave door is closing, and I can turn on the microwave and it will seem to be working, but sometimes the food is not being cooked. If I fiddle with the door then it will seal and work. I'm wondering if this can be repaired.
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Whirlpool Accuewave, November 2003 manufactured
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

This issue can be repaired, it just means that one of your 3 door switches is beginning to go bad and unless all 3 switches are engaged the microwave won't cook for safety reasons. Now the issue is that the problem is intermittent so you likely won't be able to test which switch is acting up. You'd need to replace all 3 door switches to make sure you take care of the problem.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.