Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My dishwasher has standing water in the bottom please help

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And does the dishwasher still run? It's just not draining?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maytag jet clean dishwasher EQ plus and yes it still runs
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Can I get the full model located on a sticker around the front frame of the tub and seen if you open the door?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's a picture
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK thank you. So when you turn the dishwasher on and it gets to the drain cycle, do you hear it running and trying to drain or is it 100% silent? Also, did you happen to replace your garbage disposal recently?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have not replace the disposal recently and I don't know the answer about when it gets to the drain cycle. I ran it a few days ago even with the standing water in it completed a cycle. I thought that might take care of the standing water but it did not
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As a sidenote it started by itself last night on the heavy wash cycle and I opened the door to stop it from running
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK well you'll need to start a cycle and then cancel it after 60 seconds to see if it sounds like the motor is running while it's trying to cancel and drain. If not, then you need a new control board inside your control panel. If you do hear it trying to run but water is just not draining, then you'd need to replace the pump impeller kit because the only difference between washing and draining is that the motor reverses directions. The fact that the unit started up by itself likely means the control board relay is failing and the control board would likely need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a chance that the drain is plugged?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It will not respond to the buttons when I press. As soon as I close the door it starts up again and nothing responds until I open the door again
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

So yes, there is a chance the drain hose is clogged but that wouldn't explain why the unit started on it's own. You can remove the drain hose from below the dishwasher and blow through it to make sure it's clear. The fact that it keeps starting up when you close the door is a problem with the control board. Try to unplug the dishwasher or flip the circuit breaker off to reset the issue. If that doesn't work then replace the control board.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

No problem and good luck. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.