Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Haier refrigerator model HTQ21JAAWW is not getting cold.

Customer Question

My Haier refrigerator model HTQ21JAAWW is not getting cold. The freezer is taking days to freeze. Food is spoiling in a much shorter period. Any ideas on what may be wrong. I am thinking of getting a new one, but I also know that many times the solution can be simple.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

If the coils are only frosted one part of them and the other parts are completely silver, you probably just need to get a new refrigerator because you either have a freon leak or a bad compressor. If the coils are lightly frosted from top to bottom, then you'd need a new thermostat or a new fan motor above the coils if the fan isn't running. And if the coils are packed with frost, your have a defrost issue and you either have a bad defrost heater, thermostat, or defrost timer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.