Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Our refrigerator is leaking water. When we take the drawers

Customer Question

Our refrigerator is leaking water. When we take the drawers out, there is water standing. We think the drain line is frozen, but we don't know where it is located.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It is 5 years old, Samsung Model RF4287HARS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just started about 4 days ago. We are not having trouble with cooling only the water standing under drawers and then eventually running onto floor. We have turned it off a couple times and left the doors open for a couple hours to see if we could thaw the drain line, but the problem is reoccuring. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

You are correct that the drain line is frozen oven. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel mounted to the center of the back wall inside the refrigerator section. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

Samsung also designed a little part to fix the issue from coming back. Order part number da61-06796a which clips onto the heater above the drain hole and then extends down into the drain hole to prevent the drain hole from freezing oven.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.