Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The lower oven on my Maytag Gemini stove has locked itself.

Customer Question

The lower oven on my Maytag Gemini stove has locked itself. I have tried disconnecting the power, turning on the clean cycle and then turning it off, pushing on the top right hand corner of the door, and pushing the "cancel" and "cook and hold" simultaneously, none of which have worked. I know that there is an easy fix because this happened once about 5 years ago, but I can't remember what I did. How do I get it to unlock?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately there is not always an easy fix. You have tried everything already that can potentially solve the issue easily by resetting power and trying to start self clean and canceling it. If the latch won't unlock then this is not the same issue you had 5 years ago, the door latch has just failed and will need to be replaced. The latch motor assembly is mounted to the back of the oven just above the lower oven cavity so you can pull the unit out and remove the sheet metal panel on the back and try to wiggle the latch motor to see if you can get it to respond but other than that you need to replace the latch assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.