Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The temperature settings panel suddenly went dark and the

Customer Question

the temperature settings panel suddenly went dark and the light bulbs were out, and very hot, but when I removed them they were both good. The lights in the freezer are on and both the freezer and refrigerator seem to be holding temperature.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

OK perfect, thank you. So there are only 2 things that can cause your problem. Either one of your door switches has failed and gone bad, or the main control board on the back of the refrigerator behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel has failed and needs to be replaced. Start by unplugging the refrigerator for 5 minutes to see if the issue resets. Close the door and peel back the door seal to make sure the lights aren't stuck on inside when the door is closed. If all looks to be working normal then apparently the control board just had a glitch and needed to be restarted by cutting power.

Now if resetting power doesn't resolve the issue, you need to pry out the door switches from the refrigerator liner and test them with a multimeter to determine if they are bad or not. If they all check good, then you need to replace the main control board. Otherwise replace the faulty door switch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.