Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Compressor on my kitchinaid freezer refrig. hot to the touch

Customer Question

compressor on my kitchinaid freezer refrig. hot to the touch cleaned coils and put in new relay starter because freezer and refrig. started to throw warmer air
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: kitchaid model ksrb25fgbt00
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. If the unit is blowing warm air and you already replaced the overload start relay, you just need to replace the entire compressor I'm sorry to say. The cost of the compressor is about $650 to have replaced so it's not a cheap repair I'm sorry to say but it needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is blowing cold air now but the compressor is so hot to the touch i can' keep my hand on it. I put some things in the freezer and refrig to see how cold it gets. Should the compressor shut down if it gets too hot.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I should add parts store only had the relay no overload in a kit but checked continuity on overload and showed ok!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The compressor will shut down if it gets to hot, but it'll keep re-trying to turn on every couple of minutes. You should always replace both the overload and the relay because you never know if the overload is weak or not. But either way if the overload relay isn't the issue then you need a new compressor.