John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a 1999Maytag Side by side Refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a 1999Maytag Side by side Refrigerator (model-MSD2556AEA; serial 10408445 (V or U) S. I had various problems since I purchased it. I'd buy a new refrigerator if I had the money. It leaks water from the line that goes into the water valve that I've tried to patch up. Yesterday, I noticed a great deal of water coming from underneath and the temp. inside the refrigerator was getting close to 60degrees. The freezer was defrosting as well. I usually have to defrost the freezer myself 3-4 times a year as ice clogs the water line. This was defrosting on it's own. I removed everything from the freezer and as much as possible as the refrig. but I kept both units on. They are both set at maximum cooling. I have had to cover the a vent in the refrig. as the refrig. freezes. The refrig. is showing about 43 degrees at the current setting and the freezer is making ice and ranges between 0-20 degrees. I thought perhaps the defroster had gotten stuck. I've read my manual but it isn't of any help. When I looked on-line, there were general instructions but none specific to this model. Can you assist me in any way? I am a 63 year old woman who lives alone. I try to fix whatever I can on my own as I do not have funds to hire a repairman. I've put so much money replacing the same parts over and over again it doesn't make much sense to put more money into it. The ice and water dispenser hasn't worked in years. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Terri Masters
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?