Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My dishwasher isn't draining, and we are waiting repair man

Customer Question

hi there. my dishwasher isn't draining, and we are waiting for a repair man to come for a week now. THE smell is so strong we can hardly be in our kitchen.. I cant wait another day.. could you me figure out how to drain it?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: ASKO
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: IF its easy job, then yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes I think its in the middle of the cycle
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

How is the drain hose connected to the home's plumbing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
underneath the sink, plus I have a garbarator attachment as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you be more specific about how the hose is connected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was hoping there is a button or something , to push.. just for draining it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Is the garbage disposal new?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no this is a 14 years old house, that we bought only 2 years ago ...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not want to pay for a phone call..sorry
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when the repair man was here previously, he did something, and it drained immeidatly.. is there something to push,
like a button? and it drained?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Is there an air gap on the top of the sink that the drain connects to?

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will give you a model number.. be right back..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
D5s122
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ASKO Dishwasher
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't want to open the dishwasher door until I absolutely have to.. the stench is so horribly bad, we are almost vomiting.!
I only read you the name of the dishwasher on the front of the door.. but the model number and make are on the inside of the door. which I would have to open.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Press the START/STOP button for 3 seconds. That should toggle the pump on, does it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i think you are right. . that's what the repair man did before.. I tried it.. some machine noises only came on for 2 seconds. then it stopped.. so unfortnatly. its not draining.. but at least i know how to drain it now for other times.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its not draining at all
but the smell just became worse! :(
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its ok.. thanks.. i m going to call a professional plumber in now. i cant handle the smell
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

So the drain hose is plugged or the pump is obstructed/faulty. You will need to access the pump internally (in the nasty water) to inspect the pump impeller. Pour a bit of bleach in the tub and that will help with the odor until service arrives or I can help you if you intend to repair it yourself.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THanks Kelly, i am not going to handle repairs by myself.. haa haaa.. and my husband is not at home..
Thank you for your help. i will do the ratings for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will call a professional plumber
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I understand, thank you.