Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My kitchenaid beverage/wine refrigerator is making a humming

Customer Question

my kitchenaid beverage/wine refrigerator is making a humming noise. When I turn the "cooler" knob down, the humming stops. When I turn the knob back up, the noise will be gone for awhile but then it will start again. It doesn't make noise all the time.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

1. Is it still cooling well?
  2. Can you tell from where the noise is coming from?
  3. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
KUWS24LSBS24. Yes, it's cooling fine. The noise is coming from the vent below the refrigerator.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thank you! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Below the cabinet is the compressor (number 28 in the diagram at the link below) and the condenser fan motor (number 10). If the compressor was acting up, you would see some issue with the temperature. So, I suspect the issue is with the fan motor or there may be something caught in the blade (like a piece of paper, rodent, etc) that is causing the noise. If you pull the unit out, you can remove the access panel (number 15) for access to both components. Can you remove that cover for inspection and tell me what you see and hear, please?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't move it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

If you cannot access the back to remove the access panel, the best you will be able to do is blow air from the front and perhaps it will dislodge whatever may be in there. I do think it is important that it be looked at, though, so you may want to schedule service.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!