Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Three years ago we purchased a top of the line Kitchen Aid

Customer Question

Three years ago we purchased a top of the line Kitchen Aid refrigerator. A year after that, it stopped cooling and wouldn't produce ice. I had purchased an extended warranty, and so they came out and repaired it. The week after they repaired it, it leaked all over my hardwood floors and destroyed them. Months later, when my floors were finished, and my insurance company had increased our deductible to $5,000, Lowes said they couldn't repair the refrigerator and would need to replace it. They did this and a year later this refrigerator did the exact same thing. Luckily, my husband had put a water detector in back of the fridge. After more months of fighting with Lowes, they refunded "some" of our money. We then went to Appliance Liquidators and purchased a top of the line LG. A year and 4 days later, it stopped cooling. They came out and said they would have to replace the Board and the fan assembly in the freezer. They replaced the board, but the company had sent the wrong fan assembly, so couldn't replace that. The Technician said that he believed the new board would fix it anyway. When he left, nothing had changed. I still have no cooling and when I called, they say it will be another 2 weeks.
My questions are:
1. Is there any recourse in this kind of situation? I will be without a refrigerator for 5-6 weeks if they actually get it fixed this time.
2. I now believe that there are no refrigerators out there that last. I have a friend who bought a Samsung, and he had a very similar issue after 1 year. Is there a consumer advocate group out there who looks into this kind of thing?
3. Can you think of anything else that might be causing these problems (we do have a whole house surge protector).
I'm at my wit's end. Please help me.
Thank you,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The issues you keep having appear to be electrical in nature. One thing that is often overlooked is a poor grounding system or a neutral issue. Do you live in an area with rural power that is more apt to have issues? Have you ever had your electrical supply tested at the breaker box and the wiring inspected for loose or corroded connections?