Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I'm helping a friend who has a refrigerator that doesn't

Customer Question

I'm helping a friend who has a refrigerator that doesn't work. It's a little over 5 years old. The display was scrambled, but now is showing the normal menu, however, some of the buttons are not responding & I can hear a relay clicking (on the main control board on the back of the fridge) on & off every 3 seconds, or so.
I'm thinking that either the display is bad or the control board is bad. Is there anyway to narrow it down to one or the other?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The low voltage board in the front is the least likely to be at fault. There is not really a good way to determine with 100% certainty which is failing but I would start with the high voltage board. Before ordering any parts, I would unplug for at least 30 minutes to allow a full discharge and reset, though.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure, the model # *****: KFIS25XVMS5. I'm helping Lynn with this problem. I'm a HVAC/R technician, so if you need me to check anything specifically technical, it shouldn't be a problem for me.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. The tech sheet for that model is attached. You can run through a series of diagnostic tests but if a 30 minute power cycle does not restore full function, the main board will need to be replaced, especially if you hear relays clicking. They have a very high rate of failure.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That helps! Thank you very much!
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

You bet, let me know what you find or if you have any questions!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!