Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Freezer leaks water from the bottom shelf, how to fix it?

Customer Question

I am having the freezer leak water from the bottom shelf. I have had to chip ice off the bottom to close the door. Today, when i did a freezer cleaning, the ice was built up again; a flat sheet on the bottom, after only 4 days, water seems to be coming from above the bottom shelf.
Model is GSl25jfpabs, GE side by side
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the lower back vented panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Then just put everything back together and you should be good to go again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay will try this with turkey baster and let you know in a few days if that takes care of the problem. Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

No problem and I'm glad I could help. If you need anything else just let me know.