Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a. Maytag sidebyside refrigerator. Model MSD 2542

Customer Question

I have a. Maytag sidebyside refrigerator. Model MSD 2542 VEW01. My problem is I shut the water supply off for about an hour and while the water works the ice machine is not getting water?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

If you shut the water off and don't turn the icemaker off, often times the fill tube will freeze up because water will trickle down the fill tube when it tries to fill the icemaker up because it's cycling. You'll want to pull the refrigerator forward and follow the water line down from the icemaker to the electronic water valve itself. Disconnect the water line and blow through it to see if it's clear all the way up to the icemaker. If not, then use a hair dryer, open the freezer door, and point it at the fill tube behind the icemaker. Thaw out the fill tube until you can blow through it then you should be good to go again.

Now if it's not frozen solid and no water is getting to the icemaker, the electronic water valve just has a bad solenoid for the ice so the electronic water valve will need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?