Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Pistachio shells were dumped into the washer absentmindedly

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, pistachio nut shells were dumped into the washer absentmindedly now the unit won't drain
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Kenmore Stock No. 17775, Serial No.(###) ###-#### 17772990 (unsure of what this number represents) machine 16 yo
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes M'am
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The model number will start with 110. and will be followed by 7 or 8 more numbers.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kenmore Ultra Wash 17775 Ser No.(###) ###-#### ***** (not sure what this number is)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
YouTube videos showed removal of the filter assembly but they were noy quite like the one on my washer
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

I need the correct model number. It will be on the tag behind the door, just above the opening. Can you post a picture of the tag, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the numbers I gave are all those on the tag inside the door
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It may be: 665.17775
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Oh, this is a dishwasher. You stated a washer, sorry about that. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

On this model, there is a plastic check valve that the drain hose attaches to. That part is likely plugged. The video below shows how they are accessed for cleaning.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Followed your instructions to the letter, washer still won't drain.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Is the pump running when it should be draining? Did water come out when you removed that check valve?