Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Bosch dryer model WTMC1501UC/03 that is not

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Bosch dryer model WTMC1501UC/03 that is not heating. I removed the rear panel and the reset button was in, not tripped. The vent run is only 12 inches and not impeded. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your dryer today. This appears to be a gas dryer model so if you already tried the reset button and that didn't work, you'll need to remove the entire back panel, disconnect the belt, and pull the drum out the back of the dryer. There is a heating canister that runs below the dryer drum which is part 0406 on the diagram in the link below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

Test continuity through parts 0404 and 0405. If either part is open, then replace it. If they both have continuity, then you need to run the dryer with the back panel removed to see if the igniter glows. If not then replace the igniter. If the igniter glows then replace the gas valve.

Now on tick to remember is when re-installing the drum, the belt routes around a tensioner pulley. There is a switch next to the tensioner pulley which you must manually press to reset. This switch is intended to stop the motor from running if the belt breaks or gets loose.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tyler, I pulled the drum. With the meter set at 2000, I got a reading of 3 or 4 on parts 404 & 405. Can I run the dryer with the drum removed?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

You would have to pull on the tension pulley and reset the belt switch in order to simulate that the belt is attached to run the dryer with the drum removed, but you could do that if you wanted.

You should get a reading of less than 1 ohm on those 404 and 405 parts if they are good. 2000 may be too high of a setting so you may need to turn it to your lowest setting.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tyler, I pulled the tension pulley and turned on the dryer. After about 25 seconds the ignitor fired and the burner was lit. Since the heater wasn't connected to the drum, the heat wasn't being drawn into the drum by the fan. It appears that everything is functioning like it should. My wife complained that the clothes did not dry and never got warm. Any more things that I should check?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Either your vent is restricting the air flow or your gas coils are getting weak on the gas vale which causes the flame to work in the beginning of the cycle but stop working later on in the cycle. Disconnect the vent and run a cycle and if it still won't dry properly, replace the gas coils. Below is a link to the coils.

CLICK HERE for coils

Again, we are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tyler, I saw good flame at the entrance to the tube. The link you sent me is for a gas valve solenoid on a Whirlpool. My dryer is a Bosch. You suggested that I replace the gas coil. What part is that? The dryer vent is not blocked at all.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

I understand you have a good flame at the entrance of the tube. The part is Whirlpool because the coils are universal. Bosch doesn't sell just the coils, they sell the entire valve assembly so if you wanted to replace the entire gas valve in front of the igniter you can do that but the part is about $200.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I sure don't want to waste the money. How many of the gas valve solenoids do I need?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

There are only 2 solenoids and they both come as a kit in the link I sent you before.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks. They appear to be located in the front of the dryer. Instead of reassembling the dryer to run the test, it appears to be better to simply replace the parts and then put it back together.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the part isn't that expensive so that I probably the best option.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I ordered the parts. They should arrive on Friday. I will get them installed and see if it fixes the problem. I will let you know then. Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

ok...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tyler, I got the 2 solenoids in today and changed out the solenoids. the drum turns and the igniter glows, but I don't see any flame and the igniter goes out after about 10 seconds. The dryer does not get hot. Is it possible to install the wire leads onto the solenoid upside down? Could that be the problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

No it's not possible to wire the solenoids wrong or upside down I don't believe. If the flame won't turn on at all and the igniter turns off after 10 seconds, either you aren't getting gas to the dryer or the entire gas valve needs to be replaced. Before you said the flame was coming on so I'm not sure what would have changed with replacing the solenoids, maybe one came bad?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Before I replaced the solenoids, the igniter came on after about 20 seconds and the gas flared in the pipe. Since the drum wasn't in the dryer, heat was not drawn down the burner tube very efficiently. When I replaced the solenoids, the front version would only install in one orientation. I am not sure if I put the wiring harness back on correctly. The wiring harness fits, but it could be upside down. The igniter now functions, but I don't see any flame. I really don't think that the gas valve is the problem here. What should I try next?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Either you installed in incorrectly or the part came faulty. There are no other options if the valve isn't the issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I rodered the gas burner assembly. It will arrive on Saturday. I will let you know how it turns out...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

ok good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the gas valve on Saturday, but the igniter broke while changing it out. Waiting for a replacement igniter tomorrow...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

ick, I'm sorry to hear that.