Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Amana side by side fridge is leaking water and not

Customer Question

My Amana side by side fridge is leaking water and not cooling on and off. It's model sx25sl. What steps can I do to check it. I unplugged it and now 24 hours later I hear the fan cut on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. You said that you unplugged the unit for 24 hours, so is the unit cooling properly now that you have the unit plugged in again?

Also, when the refrigerator was cooling on and off before, was the refrigerator 100% silent when it wasn't cooling or did it sound like it was trying to cool but everything was warming up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well now the door freezer won't close to see if it was cooling and I can't hear fan. It makes humming noise when fan is not working which did before when it had leak
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

That model has a common issue of the start device on the compressor failing. The freezer fan will not run unless it is cold. Is the compressor running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Is the back wall of the freezer (inside) cold?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I just plugged it up
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

So let it run for about 30 minutes. If the fan does not come on, the defrost thermostat is likely faulty. Was there a lot of frost on the back wall in the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No nothing ever froze up. To help a little more it is a fridge kept in garage which can get hot and dusty I cleaned all debris and dust off coils but it still would cut on and off basically go into defrost mode and then cut on but it got to the point were it the fan wouod not come on until I left it unplugged for 24 hours
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Okay, so that is an issue with the electronic defrost control, number 26 in the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Unfortunately, that control is no longer available, see link below.

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need clarification
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't see the diagram or have no idea where it is. It started to cool off and then stopped again. No water leak. I figured it was clogged
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Number 26 in the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is that located I see 26
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

In the back, by the compressor. It is in its own little box.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wjat do I do with it
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Not much you can do with it, it is no longer available. You can watch eBay to see if one pops up used, but that is about all you can do.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I'm taking it apart now the fan cuts on
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The one at the bottom or in the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The one at the bottome
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I would look closely for any loose connections and poor solder connections on that control board.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well fan Is running and line is clear
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how can test the defrost control to see if it works
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Man thanks for the help I'll make sure 5 star rating so you get paid. One guy left after one paragraph I just wanted to fix or hope it was easy fix. It's old fridge but we know these days old appliance outlive new especially being in garage
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I would love more help so can I test defrost control in anyway
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

There really is no way to test the defrost board. This is an electromechanical model, it has no diagnostic features. So, you really can only test it by process of elimination.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

If it goes into defrost but you must unplug it for it to come out. that board is at fault.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At fault?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Yes, causing the issue you are having with your refrigerator.