Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Old maytag top load washer When it gets up to speed spinning

Customer Question

Old maytag top load washer
When it gets up to speed spinning it's really loud like a bad bearing. It this the Transmission or a bad hub and seal assembly?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

If the noise only occurs during the spin cycle, then you have a bad main bearing and seal. Anything else like a bad pump or transmission would give a noise when it agitates as well. On these old top load washers, removing the bearing can be quite a task and depending on the model if it's the style with 2 belts under the bottom of the washer, I use a chisel and hit the bearing sleeve at the top hard and it will crack all the way down vertically since it's rusted and brittle. Then you can remove it. Otherwise there is really no way to remove it since it gets rusted and stuck in place.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?