Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE microwave turns itself on when the door is closed. Why?

Customer Question

My GE microwave starts running automatically after shutting it's door, bulb goes on, motor turns on.
What's a reason for that?
GE model # JVM1630BKC02
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Does it heat, too, or just the light and turn table motor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i never check that, but it rotates inside.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Can you put a glass of water in and see if it gets warm, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not right now, I have opened it's front panel and removed door switch.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Well, if it heats, the main electronic control is faulty. If it does not, the door switches are having issues. I would replace the two that are the same terminal configuration, the primary and secondary.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my wife said no heating during auto start of microwave. So there are two switches at the bottom of the handle that needs to change, right?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

There are three switches, a primary, secondary and a monitor switch. I would replace the primary and secondary. If you can double check the model number, I can get you the color of the wires on them.
See the attached page for switch placement.
Attachment: 820a0938-e67a-4616-b215-471e615efdc2_ScreenHunter_2584 Jul. 19 16.18.jpg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
model number is JVM1630BKC02 for GE. what kind of those switches called if i wanted to buy from shop? and are you sure that problem will be fixed by changing switches?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

If it is coming on but not heating when the door is closed, the door switches are most likely faulty. It could be an issue with the control board but not likely if it is not heating. You can test the switches, see that page I attached.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the bracket on which all three switches mounted, come altogether? or I can buy switches separately?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

They are available separately, see the attached page for the parts breakdown and part numbers.
Attachment: 63e32a57-f8a5-4f8d-8729-3ac16b8d2b2c_ScreenHunter_2585 Jul. 19 17.26.jpg