Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool washer model LSQ9549W1. It won't spin

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool washer model LSQ9549W1. It won't spin except intermittently after manual moving the basket around. The motor coupling appears to be ok. There is a golden colored oil on some of the parts under the basket. The motor is sound and spin is the only part of the cycle that we have problems with.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the washer is only spinning sometimes and you're seeing yellow oil below the basket, your basket drive is now leaking and causing the clutch to slip. You'll need to replace the basket drive which requires removing the inner basket and dropping the transmission to replace. It comes with a new clutch liner since that tends to get oily when the basket drive starts to fail. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace for your model. The basket drive is also part of the brake so it's sometimes referred to as the brake assembly as well.

CLICK HERE for part

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. This seems like the right answer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

No problem but I'm very sorry about the bad news today.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?