Mike G
Mike G, Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a model 1201 norcold rv refrigerator. It was recently

Customer Question

I have a model 1201 norcold rv refrigerator. It was recently replaced by Camping world. When they put it back together, they improperly installed the board in the board compartment and in so doing couldn't see the L1 and L2 line terminals. So they couldn't plug it into the plug. My basic question now that I've checked out the wiring(basically rewired it all) is if there is polarity on this board. The AC plug is rounded on one end and squared off on the other but it fits either way. I'm pretty knowledgeable and know which one is hot and which one is neutral. So are the L1 and L2 polarized or can I just plug it in and not worry.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  urelectrician replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I assume that the fridge is a 120 volt type and not a 240 volt type, is that correct? The reason I'm asking is that in the electrical industry, the terms L1 and L2 typically indicate 240 volts. The fridge will have a nameplate rating located on the back and the nameplate will confirm the voltage.

2) If the plug is a 2 prong polarized type, 1 prong will be wider than the other prong. The wider prong is the neutral wire and the small prong is the hot wire. Thus a 120 volt plug which can only be inserted into a standard wall receptacle by one orientation.

1) A 120 volt plug and/or receptacle only contains an L1 hot wire connection and a neutral termination. If the plug is a 3 wire, then it will also contain a round ground prong. Thus on a 120 volt plug, there is no L2 termination.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the plug is proprietary. it is 120v non polarized. the terminals on the control board are the same size and type. this plug fits either way. which is why I'm assuming it doesn't matter, but then AGAIN assuming could be costly if this board is polarized
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
even though these terminals are marked L1 and L2, they are one hot and one neutral. my question is does it matter since the plug will accept the terminals in either direction.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the ground is a separate wire that grounds the unit to the chassis
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The plug I'm referring to is more like a receptacle on a heavy duty lead cord. By testing this plug I know the hot from the neutral but don't know which way to turn it. Either way works.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I've never heard of a proprietary plug? All appliance plugs and receptacles are manufactured according to NEMA standards.

2) On a non-polarized plug, both prongs will be the same width and the plug can be inserted into a 120 volt receptacle in either direction.

3) Since the model is a 120 volt type, the manufacturer used incorrect lableling since a 120 volt version never contains an L2 termination. Should have been labeled as L1 & N and not L1 & L2.

I will opt out of the question as I don't want to provide you with an incorrect answer on the board terminals. I am not an appliance technician. I can only tell you the differences on the NEMA plug types.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question. I will send the question over to an appliance expert.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Mike G replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and it is easy to check if you have itcinnected properly. With a 2 wire voltage tester check the screw shell of the light to ground. If you get 120V reverse the connection.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry that won't work. I already know the polarity of the receptacle by testing to ground and then finding the 120 volts to ground. that is not my problem. I need to know the polarity or the need for it on the two terminals on the board that are marked L1 and L2. The board is twin voltage. 12dc and 120ac and I'm confident that it works fine since in LP mode the refrigerator is fine and working. the 120 on the board needs to come from this receptacle/plug and I don't know if the if the board is polarized.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both replies are inadequate and all I keep hearing is give me more money thanks but I will go in a different direction