Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My defrost drain is clogged and I need to know how to clear

Customer Question

my defrost drain is clogged and I need to know how to clear it.
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG three door. Model # LFC25776ST 4 yrs old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

That is a blocked defrost drain line in the freezer, you need to remove the items in the freezer section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. There is a single screw on the panel and the panel will pull off. You will see it is all iced over in the drain pan. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do i have to remove th e ice maker, if so how?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need pictures / diagrams to follow
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are 5 screws, which one do i remove?

Do not remove the two off to the left they just hold a fan in place...you just need to remove the one right in the center and the panel should pull off...if there are two more in the center remove those and then you can pop that small cover off that is off to the right as you can get a better grip on the panel to pull it out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The panel won't come out because the ice maker is in the way

You have to remove the icemaker

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I do that

CLICK HERE